Metal Recycling in Thin Film Coating (Spent Sputtering Targets)
Sputtering (sputter deposition) is a technique of thin film deposition widely used across industries to create thin films of excellent uniformity, density, purity and adhesions over different surfaces. The process involves ejecting atoms from a target or source material which is to be deposited on a substrate.
Sputtering targets (the source of the plating material that is used) are critical in sputter deposition and most sputtering target materials are metallic elements or alloys. Ideally the target should be completely spent after the sputtering process. However, the process is not 100% efficient. On every spent sputtering target, often time there will be valuable metals left unused. Spent sputtering targets can no longer facilitate production and it is expensive and difficult to reclaim the valuable metals.
As most used sputtering targets contain leftover valuable metal, they are worth preserving and recycling. It takes the right metal knowledge and technology to properly handle and process spent sputtering targets to ensure the maximum value is reclaimed. Globe Metal® is a global leader and expert in metal recycling, and we have ample experience in recycling used sputtering targets. We understand the importance and values of rare metals to different industries (e.g. aerospace, semiconductor, display manufacturing, etc.). Thus we ensure the valuable metals remain useful through our recycling programs and only the superior quality minor and primary metals, ferroalloys, high temperature alloys and specialty steels are put back to the economy. Globe Metal® is ISO certified and we provide recycling documentation upon request.
The value of spent sputtering targets varies depending on the value of the metal used as platings, the presence of secondary metals and their quantities. To ensure you are getting the right worth of your used targets, send you materials to a qualified metals recycler like Globe Metal® for testing.
- Understand client’s material through photos, analysis or testing;
- Globe Metal® submits pricing quote – based on different recycling options;
- Material is picked up from client’s facility, sorted, cleaned, and processed;
- Globe Metal® distributes metals for recycling through an international network providing proof of destruction or recycling certificates
For questions relating to any metal, or to enquire about how your company could benefit from our profitable recycling program, please reach out to an expert at 1-800-700-6382 or email@example.com.
Globe Metal® is a proud member of Minor Metals Trade Association and Mining Suppliers Trade Association Canada.
Here are some Sputtering Targets that we recycle:
- Copper (an extremely valuable material for recycling purposes used in many products and materials)
- *Gold (intrinsically valuable metals, as well provides usefulness in medical instrument production and electrical wiring)
- Indium-Tin Oxide (ITO)
- Niobium (an important metal in the production of superconductors and magnets)
- *Platinum (intrinsically valuable metals, as well provides usefulness in medical instrument production and electrical wiring)
- *Silver (intrinsically valuable metals, as well provides usefulness in medical instrument production and electrical wiring)
- Tantalum (a common choice in the production of alloys intended for use in extreme conditions like in superalloys for rocket construction)
- Tin (used to improve corrosion resistance, typically used to coat iron, zinc, steel and lead, and can also be alloyed with copper to produce pewter or bronze)
- Zinc (used in a number of alloys, including zinc and bronze, and is found in batteries, propellant and paints)
- Chromium-silicon monoxide
- Chromium-silicon monoxide
- Gallium arsenide
- Gallium phosphide
- Indium antimonide
- Indium arsenide
- Indium phosphide
We Offer Competitive Prices
Thanks to our 40-year history in metals recycling, we know the market like the back of our hands. We have the knowledge to give you the best price per pound for your material. Talk to a buyer now. Complete the form above.
We Simplify The Recycling Process
At Globe Metal®, we break down our customer experience into three simple steps: 1) You call for an estimate. 2) We arrange pickup of your material. 3) We send you a check after recycling your materials.
Based in Montreal, we are among the worldwide leaders in recycling in Canada and around the world, representing a large market share for metals across the U.S. We also have a significant buyer and seller base worldwide. Schedule a shipment.
We’ll Help You Manage Your Materials
Globe Metal® will provide you with new U.N. rated drums to store your spent catalyst; our waste management materials meet all regulatory specifications. We’ll also send you certificates of responsible recycling for government agencies.